What Are Transitional Summarizing Words and When Should They Be Used?
Transition words and phrases help to establish logical connections between sentences, paragraphs and sections of a paper. They are words with that connect ideas and guide readers from one thought to the next. Transition words are often classified based on the type of relationship they convey. One relationship classification for transition words is summarizing. Summarizing words can be used in the following situations:
- Convince readers that a position you have taken is correct
- Challenge readers to think about a particular issue
- Encourage readers to take action
Summarizing Words Also Provide These Additional Benefits
- Avoid plagiarism by properly indicating summarized material relationships
- Improve overall readability and flow of text
- Improve text coherence
Examples of Summarizing Words
Without summarizing words, reaching a conclusion in a paper would be much more difficult. Some transitional words lead readers forward, and the building of an idea or thought is implied. Others result in the reader comparing ideas or drawing conclusions from preceding thoughts. Summarizing words fall into the second category. They are often used to summarize information at the end of a paragraph and lead into following paragraphs. The following is a list of 10 transition phrases and transition words to summarize paragraphs:
- All things considered
- By and large
- In any event
- In the final analysis
- On the whole
- In short
- On balance
- At the end of the day
Mistakes to Avoid When Using Summarizing Words
Summarizing words and other transitional words and phrases are intended to help improve writing, but they can be misused. Some mistakes to avoid when using transitional words include:
- Make sure the relationship indicated by the transitional word actually exists and is clear before using the transition
- Overuse of summarizing and other transitional words and phrases can make writing awkward and hard to read. It may also lead to confusion as to the exact meaning of a passage. Limit the use of transitional words.
- Make sure that use of the transitional word doesn’t result in a sentence fragment or comma splice
If you are unsure how to correctly use summarizing words our summary service can assist you.
Our Service Offers Expert Summarizing Help
We offer custom summary writing services for virtually any type of article, story or other text document. Our professional writers make their living writing summaries. They know exactly when and where to use summarizing words to best effect. The summary they create for you is guaranteed to be delivered on time and to completely satisfy all of your requirements. Additional benefits include:
- Affordable rates that can be managed even on a tight budget
- Easy online order and payment process
- Customer support 24/7
- Complete customer confidentiality
For a summary that makes the best use of summarizing words, contact us and benefit from the expertise of our professional summary writers!
Image credit: http://www.slideshare.net/rwenhancement2010/transitional-words-10379031